Friday, February 19, 2010

Parhump 1/30/2010


Because of my poor finish last race I was started up front in the heat race. On the start the second place car was able to get past but I held on for second. The car was working well, my new Interga dry slick front shocks from BRYKE racing seemed to be working great. I stayed with the leader and a few laps later he spun into the infield and I assumed the lead. However I was starting to get the dreaded brake fade so I was letting off the gas a little early to get into the corner with minimal use of the brakes. This allowed the second place car to work to the outside of me and after a lap of two of racing he took over the lead. I continued my pressure and coming through the first and second turns, the leader bobbled and I was able to drive past him and retake the lead. This time I knew time was short so I drove a little harder and maintained the lead and won the heat.

I started on the pole for the main and was sticking to the low line when suddenly BASH! I got drilled in the left side I was running as low as I thought you could go, but another car thought he could run a half a groove lower and pass through me I guess but alas after getting through the quarter panel the L/R shock stopped his progress but by then the damage was done and I headed to the pits with a flat (almost new)L/R tire.
Tim Helms got to work and with an assist from Dan Fitzgerald's crew guy Blake I was back on the track .

The bent shock didn't seem to have a big negative affect because I was able to work my way back through the field. I was working on the fourth place car who seemed to be struggling on the dry slick surface , and I managed to get under him but I guess he didn't see me up along side because he turned down bending up my Right door. I backed off and tried again a lap or two later and make it cleanly under him down the back straight and the 3rd and fourth corners. I raced down the front straight and into the turn when BWAM!! I get drove into. I look to my left and see the offending "drivers" r/f tire and hood trying to make it through my Left door and quarter. I guessed he didn't realize that we couldn't occupy the same space at the same time so I slowed up and was going to let him pass me so I could give him his own lesson in physics. However, he couldn't catch back up so I took off again after the straightaway ahead 3rd place car.

I inched my way closer each lap and finally was able to catch up to him. We raced side by side a lap or two, but I was able to get by him and move to third. We ran out of laps to make anymore advancement so I settled for a hard fought 3rd place.

No comments:

Post a Comment