Monday, March 1, 2010

Las Vegas Motor Speedway feb 26th 2010

Las Vegas Motor speedway Friday Night February 36 2010,

We got in a rare treat Friday night with a race at the Dirt track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
With the Nextel, nationwide series in town, the speedway opened up the dirt track Thursday and Friday nights for Sprints and midget racing.
With a low turn out expected Friday night the track added the IMCA modifieds to the show and Tim and I worked hard all week getting an engine put together for my car.
The guys at Jacks Machine Shop did a super quick turn around on a pair of cylinder heads , getting them back to me on Thursday afternoon so we could get them on the car and loaded up for Friday night.
We got to the racetrack and changed the gear for the Vegas track, the track used plenty of water and wheel packing had the cars pretty sloppy. I didn’t go out for the first set of hot laps, but did use the second set of hot laps. After about three laps the engine seemed to lose a little power so I pulled in for a once over. We found one loose rocker arm and after a quick valve adjustment we were ready for the heat.
The draw had me lined up 7th and I knew there were a couple of fast cars behind me so I had to gain a few positions to make it into the A main. On the start I figured I would try the high groove but there were a couple of cars battling for position. The second lap around the high groove was open and I hit the turn flying, I was getting ready to get a great run off the corner when BANG! Rattle rattle … I knocked the car to neutral and heated for the infield. Of course I found a massive mud puddle getting into the infield and soaked myself. Back in the pits, it looks like another engine gone south, something broken internally. Two engines in two weeks, however, both engines were about 5 years old and I guess I just pushed the old parts too far.

Now we have another long week ahead, putting together another engine, this one was supposed to be a good motor, but I always have valve train issues and we sat it in the corner for 5 years. I am hoping a new block will cure old problems and we get another engine together that will last the season.


Till Next week

No comments:

Post a Comment